As a graphic designer, I have learned that many of the concepts in graphic design can also apply to life. For example, the concepts of balance and symmetry.
It is the goal of graphic designers to create asymmetrical balance. Asymmetrical balance is created when there appears to the eye to be balance even though there is no mirror image created. The word asymmetry in itself, means without symmetry — with no mirror imagery. Graphic designers work hard to achieve balance without symmetry- 95% of the time. The remaining 5% of the time, unbalance may be created to make a statement such as discord.
So, why am I writing about asymmetrical balance?
Because, I believe that we strive to make balance out of our lives despite the fact that there are things that cause our lives to be ‘out of whack’. 95% of the time. The remaining 5% of the time we may want unbalance for some reason.
Why is balance important?
Balance in graphic design means that a composition creates a reason why people take an action. Usually this would be in the form of an ad which entices the viewer to purchase a product. If the ad is successful in creating asymmetrical balance the results will be positive. If the ad is not in balance then the viewer will have a negative view of the product. Graphic designers don’t use symmetrical balance because it is too easy to do and looks unprofessional as a result.
In life, we rarely get any kind of symmetrical balance. Things are thrown in our direction randomly and we have to deal with them as is. That is reality.
Balance, anywhere- from advertising to life- is important because it creates harmony.
Everyone has their own personal definition of what balance is in their life. It is up to us to figure out how to create balance out of asymmetry or, out of what is thrown at us.
How do we create balance in our lives?
Of course, I have done a bit of research into this topic.
It is pretty unanimous among the ‘experts’ that the first step in creating balance is to identify what is out of balance and then to create balance out of the unbalanced. Easier said than done. There are people who spend countless dollars, hours, and efforts into identifying unbalance and creating balance out of it.
According to one ‘expert’ you can start by listing your demands, pressures and problems . Then list your responses to these items. Often, creating balance is as easy as looking at these items from a different perspective.
Here are some great ideas that I found on how to create balance out of your life.
- Coworkers etc. not pulling their weight? Avoid the urge to step in and cover for them.
- Make a list of balance related factors in your life and rate them according to how important they are. Those that are important to you should be treated with priority.
- earn how to and practice saying no.
- Be realistic about the time needed to accomplish tasks and the end result anticipated.
- Stick to one calendar to schedule work, personal, and family time.
- Set priorities; without them everything seems important.
- Realize that we live in a world of constant change and that you must adjust to it.
- Find ways that you can get balance in your life?
- Set priorities each day to begin your day. A coach or mentor will tell you to actually create a “to do” list the night with the first three items on the list as a “must do,” item. Make sure you finish those before you move on to the next.
- To create more balance in your life means that you have to set short-term goals, intermediate goals and long-term goals and stick to them.
- The most part, your life should reflect the goals that you set for yourself. . Be patient if things don’t go exactly according to plan.
- Give yourself space to mess up. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Do what you can for the given day and whatever is left will be done the next day. Do your best always.
- Don’t feel guilty because of what people think. Do whatever it takes to get the job done, but never lose yourself.
- Get help when you need it and know how to identify this point. You can’t and should not try to do everything on your own. Delegate any responsibilities that someone else can do. Otherwise, you will create unbalance in your relationship.
- Make changes if you have to in order to accommodate new ideas and your goals.
- Learn how to reduce stress in your life.
- Don’t waste valuable time doing things that are not productive.
- Be positive. Focus on the good and not the bad. When you have a good day, make a mental note of it .
- ‘Plan your work and work your plan’.
- Without planning your work-life balance program effectively, you run the risk of poor family relationships, deteriorating health, illness and disease.
- Balance in your life probably includes family members, colleagues and your friends. Consider each of them and their roles while you plan your balance.
- Ambition is fineA. Just learn how to balance it with what the needs of you and your family are.
- Get honest feedback about your strengths and weaknesses from others and take appropriate steps.
- Don’t let your ego kill you
- Be sure to step back and give yourself a reality check on factors in your life. Take time to assess and consider what is really important to you.
- Put your health at the top of your action list
- Take the big picture view of things- step back.
- Spend time alone with yourself.
- Stay focused and center on who you are and where you are going
- It is OK to stumble. Be patient with yourself. Everything comes in steps.