So many of us are becoming fans of social networking. In some cases, too many of us.
MySpace makes it easy to express yourself, connect with friends and make new ones, but who you let into your space, how you interact with them, and how you present yourself online are important things to think about when using social networking sites. Here are some common sense guidelines that you should follow when using MySpace:
- Don’t forget that your profile and MySpace forums are public spaces. Don’t post anything you wouldn’t want the world to know (e.g., your phone number, address, IM screen names, or specific whereabouts). Avoid posting anything that would make it easy for a stranger to find you, such as where you hang out every day or a picture of you in front of your office or school.
- People aren’t always who they say they are. Be careful about adding strangers to your friends list. It’s fun to connect with new MySpace friends from all over the world, but avoid meeting people in person whom you do not fully know. If you must meet someone, do it in a public place and bring a friend or trusted adult.
- Harassment, hate speech and inappropriate content should be reported. If you feel someone’s behavior is inappropriate, react. Report it to MySpace or the authorities.
- Don’t post anything that would embarrass you later. It’s easy to think that only our friends are looking at our MySpace page, but the truth is that everyone can see it. Think twice before posting a photo or information you wouldn’t want your parents, potential employers, colleges or boss to see!
- Don’t say you’re over 18 if you’re not. Don’t say you’re younger than 18 if you’re not. If MySpace customer service determines you are under 13 and pretend to be older, we will delete your profile. If customer service determines you are over 18 and pretend to be a teenager to contact underage users, we will delete your profile.
As far as what other action will be taken against these MySpace pervs goes, we will have to wait to see.
To comment….click on the number that is next to the title of this post or click on the title of the post itself.