So by now you may have seen the commercials, but I think Zhu Zhu Pets are going to be the hot new toy this year! Zhu Zhupets are fuzzy, interactive hamsters that Zhu Zhu Zhu-oom! They are about the size of regular hamsters and take two AA batteries, and leave behind no mess! I love it that my children can have a pet, but without the mess and fuss!
I received the opportunity to review Zhu Zhu Pets and I actually received enough to throw a whole party with them! When I first received my package I was more than surprised. I received enough Zhu Zhu pets to hand out to all the neighborhood kids who came over to play and a complete Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster “habitrail,” including a kitchen, hamster wheel, slide, and more! Well what I decided to do, was invite the neighborhood over and start opening all the boxes. When the kids started coming over, they were so excited. I had boys and girls from ages 9 months to 11 years old, and Zhu Zhu pets are honestly a toy they all enjoyed, of course with parents supervision for the younger children since this toy is for ages 4 and up.
Zhu Zhu pets are fun whether you just watch them roam around your house or if you let them play in their habitat add-ons. These hamsters have over 40 different sounds effects, depending on what they are doing. They are also the world’s first “innovative, realistic, interactive, plush and artificially intelligent hamsters that talk and move around in their own play sets. They even feature too play modes: nurturing where they will coo and purr and adventure mode where they explore with audio and mechanical responses.
My sons favorite part is actually the car that the hamster drives right out of the garage, while the party goers enjoyed the slide and the hamster ball. Now I admit it is creepy to see these hamsters roaming the house and I have shrieked when finding one under the couch or one that races past my feet! We actually play with our Zhu Zhu pets everyday as I have it set up in our living room and it is just too tempting for my sons to not push on one of the hamsters!
• Just push a button and the hamsters go
• Only take 2 AA batteries and they seem to last long as I haven’t had to replace any yet.
• Endless ways to play and change up the habitat
• Can play without the habitat, as my sons like to bring these to different rooms of our house and to their friends house.
• We have been playing with them for 2 months now and have yet to get bored!
• 4 different hamsters to choose from: Mr. Squiggles, Num Nums, Chunk, and Pipsqueak (but soon more are coming!)
• Pieces snap together, but are not as sturdy as I would like. Now I do have rough boys that are only 1 and 2 years old so I am sure it would be fine with older kids who are more careful.
• Would like more rooms in the habitat, rather than all the accessories.
• There is a warning about the wheels getting stuck in hair and that actually happened to one of the girls at the party. So you have to make sure you keep the hamsters wheels away from hair!
• Can be hard to get the hamsters on the skateboards or in hamster ball because as you push down the hamster to snap it or place it in, you are pushing on the buttons!
Overall, we are Zhu Zhu pet lovers. I honestly get mad at my kids when I get it set up and start playing and they mess it up! I would definitely purchase this if we didn’t already have it. Even if you don’t have room or want to buy all the accessories, the hamsters are adorable on their own!
Here are some pics of kids at our house playing with Zhu Zhu Pets:
BUY IT: You can buy Zhu Zhu pets at Walmart, Toys R Us,Amazon, and Target! (The hamsters are only $8.00 at Walmart and the habitat pieces are about $10-$15 each. ) If you think your child would like these adorable hamsters, I would buy them as soon as you can, as it looks like they are sold out everywhere online and I am sure the retail stores are selling them fast too! I think these will be hot Christmas toys!
GIVEAWAY: Winner will receive a gray Zhu Zhu pet hamster!