Yes, I am nuts…for nuts!
In honor of the return of baseball, and the slim possibility that the Cubs will take it this year (and I will win the Power Ball), I would like to tell you about one of my favorite food items. Peanuts. I buy peanuts in the shell in huge bags from Sams’s Club every week. Peanuts are a huge hit around this house.
1. The peanut, or groundnut is a actually a member of the legume “bean” family. They grow in India, Pakistan, some African countries, Mexico, South America and Central America. It was George Washington Carver who first brought them to the US for growing.
2. Peanuts are known by other names, including earthnuts, ground nuts, goober peas, monkey nuts, pygmy nuts and pig nuts.
3. In a Nurses’ Health Study it was found that women who eat least 1 ounce of nuts, peanuts or peanut butter each week have a 25% lower risk of developing gallstones.
4.Peanuts and peanut butter contain high quality plant protein. When comparing peanuts to similar foods, peanuts have more protein than any other legume or nut. Good to know if you are considering a vegetarian type diet.
5.The domesticated peanut is an amphidiploid or allotetraploid, meaning that it has two sets of chromosomes from two different species.
6.Peanuts start growing as a ground flower. The heavy weight of a peanut causes it to bend into the ground and eventually burrows underground where the peanut actually matures.
7.Peanuts are a very good source of monounsaturated fats, the type of fat that is emphasized in the heart-healthy Mediterranean diet.
8.Peanuts are an important source of essential minerals such as magnesium, copper, phosphorus, potassium and zinc. Some of these “hard to find” minerals such as copper and magnesium may protect against coronary heart disease.
9.There is new research that says that peanuts are also as rich in antioxidants as many fruits.
10 Research published in the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry indicates regular consumption of niacin-rich foods like peanuts provides protection against Alzheimer’s disease and age-related cognitive decline.
11 One ounce, or one small handful of peanuts contains 2 big grams of fiber. This is 9% of the fiber you need each day!
12. Nutrients found in peanuts, including folic acid, phytosterols, phytic acid (inositol hexaphosphate) and resveratrol, may have anti-cancer effects. Eating peanuts just 2 or more times each week was associated with a 58% lowered risk of colon cancer in women and a 27% lowered risk in men.
13. The the affiliation between peanuts and baseball actually has been an American tradition since the 1890s when Henry M. Stevens, a steel worker from Columbus, Ohio, recognized the need for something else besides hot dogs to be served during baseball games. It had to be something simple, inexpensive and popular – and he struck upon peanuts.
This week we will answer some crazy questions brought to you by Kimber, the color of cooked crab, and the number 544.
1. It’s the first of April, do you play April Fool’s jokes on anyone?
I’ve already enlisted the assistance of the twins…
2. Do you like to eat sardines?
3. Have you ever played racketball?
4. If eating at a fast food joint that has a dollar menu, do you order a bunch of different dollar items or just go ahead and get a regular meal?
I haven’t eaten fast food in a long time. I’d probably opt for a salad and a Diet Coke.
5. Have you ever taken a brand new pencil and sharpened it in an electric sharper until it was almost gone just because you were bored?
Nope. I love my Ticonderoga’s too much.
6. Do you have any old broken computers still sitting around your home?
A couple of laptops that I keep meaning to send to Dell for recycling.
7. Ricky Martin came out this week stating he is gay. Were you shocked, had a feeling, “who?” or just didn’t care?
I think Ricky was the only one who didn’t know. Please.
8. If marijuana is legalized, do you think it should have a luxury tax added onto it?
They should tax the crap out of it to pay for better schools. That’ll make it too expensive for the kiddies to buy and they’ll actually get something out of school.
9. What’s the oddest thing you have sitting on your computer desk right now or where ever it is you may be sitting with a laptop (you could be sitting at a Starbucks with an alien from Mars for all we know)?
There is a crushed penny from one of those tourist machines. It says “Shuttle Launch” on it. Think I can still use it?
10. Have you ever bumped into a former lover and found out they were now gay or straight depending on your relationship with them?
No although, I’m sure I’ve turned a few heehee (Ricky Martin?)
11. Have you ever held a tarantula?
12. Shower- curtain, door, walk-in, or do you just roll around in the dirt to get the stink off?
13. Which commercial is the most annoying to you on TV or radio?
You mean like the Snuggie one which isn’t half as bad as any and ALL political ones.
Nice work ladies!