Have you adjusted to the time change?
I haven’t. I need some sleep. Last Sunday we sprung our clocks ahead an hour for Daylight Savings Time. It’s a hard adjustment for me. Although, it’s a nice thing to have Spring finally. We were in the 60’s all week which works for me.
1. Officially, it’s “daylight saving time,” not “daylight savings time.” But don’t feel bad if you thought there was a final “s” on “saving”; far more people Google the incorrect phrase than the correct one.
2. Daylight saving time has mixed effects on people’s health. Transitions into and out of DST can disturb people’s sleeping patterns, for example, and make them more restless at night. Night owls tend to be more bothered by the time changes than people who like mornings, Finnish researchers concluded last year.
3. There’s a spike in heart attacks during the first week of daylight saving time, according to another study published last year. The loss of an hour’s sleep may make people more susceptible to an attack, some experts say. When daylight saving time ends in the fall, heart attacks briefly become less frequent than usual.
4. People are safer drivers during daylight hours, and researchers have found that DST reduces lethal car crashes and pedestrian strikes. In fact, a study concluded that observing DST year-round would annually prevent about 195 deaths of motor vehicle occupants and about 171 pedestrian fatalities.
5. A U.S. law signed by President George W. Bush in 2005 extended the length of daylight saving time by four weeks. It now begins at 2 a.m. on the second Sunday in March. It ends on the first Sunday in November.
6. Also in 2005, Kazakhstan abolished daylight saving time, citing negative health effects. The country’s government reportedly calculated that 51.6 percent of Kazakhs responded badly to the time change.
7. Many other countries observe daylight saving time, but not all do so on the same day. That can create confusion for international travelers, business communications, and more.
8. Daylight saving can also cause confusion close to home. In March 2007, a Pennsylvania honor student was mistakenly accused of threatening his school with a bomb. He had actually called an automated line to get info about scheduled classes. Someone else made the bomb threat an hour later.
9. Two states—Arizona and Hawaii—and four U.S. territories—American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands—don’t observe daylight saving time. Indiana adopted DST in 2006.
10. Local time determines when DST begins, so America’s eastern time zone makes the switch before the rest of the country. This Sunday, cities like New York and Atlanta will be two hours ahead of the central time zone, instead of the usual one-hour difference, from 3 a.m. to 3:59 a.m. EDT. New York City will be four hours ahead of Los Angeles—instead of the usual three—from 3 a.m. to 5:59 a.m. EDT.
11. Daylight saving time was first used during World War I, as part of an effort in the United States and other warring countries to conserve fuel. In theory, using daylight more efficiently saves fuel and energy because it reduces the nation’s need for artificial light.
12. The first American to advocate for daylight saving was Benjamin Franklin. He realized in 1784 that many people burned candles at night yet slept past dawn in the summer, wasting early-morning sunlight.
13. The effect of DST on energy use has changed over time and varies from place to place. Experts even disagree on whether DST still saves the nation energy. But so many people like to “spring forward” that it might be hard for officials to end the tradition, even if they determined it’s wasteful.
YOU GOTTA SEE THIS!
I’ve received some interesting emails lately. This was one of those forwarded ones that probably originated from someone’s cell phone camera. When you live in Florida, you can find a variety of reptiles is weird places. Check this out.
This is a 15 foot Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake. Largest ever caught on record.After seeing this, I did a little research, and learned the following:
- One bite from a snake this large contains enough venom to kill over 40 full grown men.
- The head alone is larger than the hand of a normal sized man.
- This snake was probably alive when George H. W. Bush was President.
- A bite from those fangs would equal being penetrated by two 1/4 inch screwdrivers.
- A snake this size could easily swallow a 2 year-old child.
- A snake this size has an approximately 5 and 1/2 foot accurate striking distance. (The distance for an average size Rattlesnake is about 2 feet)
- Judging by the size of the snake, it is estimated to weigh over 170 pounds.
Sunday Stealing: The Eight Tens Meme
TEN TO START.
1. Are you single?
Depends how you define that.
2. Are you happy?
I would be if certain people would quite bothering me.
3. Are you bored?
4. Are you naked?
under my clothes…
5. Are you a blonde?
yep. It cost me a fortune.
6. Are you moody?
7. Are you a lover/hater?
8. Are you hot/cold?
Is this one of those crappy menopause quizzes?
9. Are you Irish?
10. Are you Asian?
3. Birth mark:
4. Hair color:
you just asked this
5. Natural hair color:
what are you insinuating?
6. Eye color:
depends on which document you are asking about.
8. Facebook Mood:
9. Favorite color:
10. One Place to Visit:
the bathroom…I drank a lot of Zero’s
TEN THINGS ABOUT YOUR LOVE LIFE.
1. Do you believe in love at first sight?
with puppies and babies
2. Do you believe in soul mates?
I’m not that either.
4. Have you ever been hurt emotionally?
No, I’m a fembot.
5. Have you ever broken someone’s heart?
Richard Gere and the dude in the Calvin Klein ads.
6. Have you ever been cheated on?
My dog dipped out on me cause my son was giving out bones in the other room. Bastard.
7. Have you ever liked someone and not told them?
WHAT? Liked? I try to like every one dumbo.
8. Are you afraid of commitment?
To memes maybe.
9. Who was the last person you hugged?
10. Who was the last person you kissed?
TEN THIS OR THAT.
1. Love or lust?
chocolate or margaritas?
3. Cats or dogs?
4. A few best friends or many regular friends?
Okay…you’ve lost me now…
5. Television or internet?
6. Chinese Or Indian?
I’m neither! Quit asking!
7. Wild night out or romantic night in?
How about doing a crossword puzzle and watching one of the Housewife shows.
8. Money or Happiness?
One and the same?
9. Night or day?
10. MSN or phone?
FOR WHAT? FOR WHAT?
I’m beginning to not like someone who wrote this…
TEN HAVE YOU EVER.
1. Been caught sneaking out?
Are you for real?
2. Been skinny dipping?
Yeah…nightly…in my PJ’s
Stolen what? A crappy meme maybe?
4. Bungee jumped?
Yes…nightly…in my PJ’s.
5. Lied to someone you liked?
“I liked”? What is this 4th grade?
6. Finished an entire jaw breaker?
You mean like break someone’s jaw?
8. Wanted an ex bf/gf back?
seriously….I’ve been married for 25 years…can I really go back now?
9. Cried because you lost a pet?
10. Wanted to disappear?
like right now?
TEN PREFERENCES IN A PARTNER.
1. Smile or eyes?
2. Light or dark hair?
3. Hugs or kisses?
4. Shorter or taller?
5. Intelligence or attraction?
6. Romantic or spontaneous?
7. Funny or serious?
8. Older or Younger?
9. Outgoing or quiet?
10. Sweet or Bad Ass?
11. RICH? YES…
TEN HAVE YOU’S.
1. Ever performed in front of a large crowd?
How’d you guess? I’m Taylor Swift.
2. Ever done drugs?
Antihistamines daily it seems
3. Ever been pregnant?
Never…my kids immaculately entered this planet.
5. Ever been on a cheer leading team?
Are you on crack?
6. Ever Been on a dance team?
Are you on crack?
7. Ever been on a sports team?
What- sports for the middle-aged?
8. Ever been in a drama play/production?
Yes- I was Lady Godiva. It hurt a lot!
9. Ever owned a BMW, Mercedes Benz, Escalade, Hummer or Bentley?
No, I do not have any of those kind of issues associated with throwing moolah down the toilet so that people can believe that I’m better than them.
10. Ever been in a rap video?
Sure- me and Biggie were buds.
1. Last phone call you made:
2. Last person you hung out with:
The only things that people my age hang out with are things not meant to hang out.
4. Last time you worked:
Worked at what? Is some kind of sick humor?
5. Last person you tackled:
6. Last person you IM’d:
8. Last person(s) you went to the movies with:
Queen Elizabeth. I know what’s in her handbag- gummy bears.
9. Last thing you missed:
Nope…not that…thank goodness….
10. Last thing you ate:
Peanuts in the shell cause I gave up margaritas and need one right now badly.
So what are you doing on Monday???