The FDA says that dog bones are bad for your dog. Okay, haven’t they been chewing on them for like a million years?
Here are 10 reasons why it’s a bad idea to give your dog a bone:
- Broken teeth. This may call for expensive veterinary dentistry.
- Mouth or tongue injuries. These can be very bloody and messy and may require a trip to see your veterinarian.
- Bone gets looped around your dog’s lower jaw. This can be frightening or painful for your dog and potentially costly to you, as it usually means a trip to see your veterinarian.
- Bone gets stuck in esophagus, the tube that food travels through to reach the stomach. Your dog may gag, trying to bring the bone back up, and will need to see your veterinarian.
- Bone gets stuck in windpipe. This may happen if your dog accidentally inhales a small enough piece of bone. This is an emergency because your dog will have trouble breathing. Get your pet to your veterinarian immediately!
- Bone gets stuck in stomach. It went down just fine, but the bone may be too big to pass out of the stomach and into the intestines. Depending on the bone’s size, your dog may need surgery or upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, a procedure in which your veterinarian uses a long tube with a built-in camera and grabbing tools to try to remove the stuck bone from the stomach.
- Bone gets stuck in intestines and causes a blockage. It may be time for surgery.
- Constipation due to bone fragments. Your dog may have a hard time passing the bone fragments because they’re very sharp and they scrape the inside of the large intestine or rectum as they move along. This causes severe pain and may require a visit to your veterinarian.
- Severe bleeding from the rectum. This is very messy and can be dangerous. It’s time for a trip to see your veterinarian.
- Peritonitis. This nasty, difficult-to-treat bacterial infection of the abdomen is caused when bone fragments poke holes in your dog’s stomach or intestines. Your dog needs an emergency visit to your veterinarian because peritonitis can kill your dog.
Sunday Stealing: The Speed Dating Meme
1. What’s your favorite Dr. Seuss book?
This is like the 3rd time I’ve seen this question…talk about stealing…
2. If you could live in any home on a television series, what would it be?
The Cleaver’s second house. It was actually next door to 1313 Mockingbird Lane…
3. What’s the longest you’ve gone without sleep?
Those crappy multiple nursing shifts when I was younger or it coulda been in college.
4. What’s your favorite Barry Manilow song?
Copa Cabana- it’s the only one I remember right now.
5. Who’s your favorite Muppet?
6. What’s the habit you’re proudest of breaking?
Whaaaa ;( Haven’t had a margarita since New Years.
I’ll be baaaaaack
7. What’s your favorite website?
DDDUUURRRRRR…You’re looking at it noob.
8. What’s your favorite school supply?
9. Who’s your favorite TV attorney?
Geraldo before he went tard.
10. What was your most recent trip of more than 50 miles?
11. What’s the best bargain you’ve ever found at a garage sale or junk shop?
Like I need more old crap in my house.
12. Where were you on September 11, 2001?
I was a photocopy PTA volunteer at the Jr High. Then I went to TJMaxx and bought this really cool cookie jar (that was a bargain does that count for 11?).
13. What’s your favorite tree?
14. What’s the most interesting biography you’ve read?
Believe it or not, Reagan’s. He’s from Illinois.
15. What do you order when you eat Chinese food?
Steamed broccoli and shrimp.
16. What’s the best costume you’ve ever worn?
Freakin’ wedding dress. Hated every minute of it. Should have eloped.
17. What’s your least favorite word?
“Changey Hopey” BTW- Changy Hopey is working.
18. If you had to be named after one of the 50 states, which would it be?
You’ve finally stumped me.
19. Who’s your favorite bear?
Who isn’t gonna say Yogi??
20. Describe something that’s happened to you for which you have no explanation.
I’m sitting here completing the 20th question of this meme.
21. If you could travel anywhere in Africa, where would it be?
Ew- no thank you. I don’t need silly shots, long plane rides, holes in the ground for toilets and msc bugs dining on me.
22. What did you have for lunch yesterday?
A crappy meme writer.
23. Where do you go for advice?
24. Which do you use more often, the dictionary or the thesaurus?
25. Have you ever been snorkeling? Scuba diving?
Duhhhhhh…I live in the middle of corn and soy bean fields. What do you think?