The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that last year about one-third of U.S. adults consumed fruit or fruit juice at least twice a day. That’s down slightly from more than 34 percent in 2000.
Only about 26 percent ate vegetables three or more times a day, the same as in 2000. The statistics come from a national telephone survey of hundreds of thousands of Americans.
They also found:
- No state met federal goals of three-quarters of Americans eating enough fruit, and half eating enough vegetables.
- California ate the most fruit and Tennessee was best with vegetables.
- Oklahoma was at the bottom for fruit and South Dakota had the lowest vegetable consumption.
- In 2009, 67.5 percent of adults ate less than two fruits daily and 73.7 percent ate less than three vegetables daily, far short of national health objectives for fruit and vegetable consumption.
- Healthy People 2010 fruit and vegetable objectives aim for 75 percent of Americans to eat at least 2 servings of fruit daily and 50 percent to eat at least 3 servings of vegetables daily.
The CDC says that a diet high in fruit and vegetable intake plays a key role in weight management and reduces the risk of leading causes of death –heart disease, some cancers, stroke, chronic lower respiratory diseases, and diabetes.
So, how many fruits and veggies do you need?
It’s really mostly because Mondays are just so darn boring on the internet!
Welcome back to Monday Mayhem.
After a brief break from the Mayhem Meme world, we have returned.
Plus, what else is there to do on a Monday?
So, have fun with it and don’t forget to comment the others.
1. What have you been doing on Monday’s since we’ve been on a break?
Searching for the perfect Monday Meme.
2. What is the best way to get people to play this fun meme?
Make Bud and Thom give them FREE stuff.
3. Tell us about the kind of weather you are having today?
83 and sunny today. Pool temp is a measly 76.
4. What is one thing that you would like to share with the rest of us about 9/11?
I went on a band trip to NYC a few years ago and we were waiting for our coach bus across the street from the holes in the ground when some little old lady came up to me and beat me up with her $4.99 handbag in an attempt to get out me of her way. It was nuts- ask Kyle.
5. Tell us something that you are predicting will happen this week?
The Cubs will kick butt on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (huge feud around these parts)
6. What happens to rabbits when they grow old?
They retire to Boca Raton. I’ve seen them there.
7. What is your opinion about latest craze of Divorce Insurance? Would you buy some?
I heard that inlaws are actually able to purchase the insurance. How will any insurance agent be able to make money on this one?
Thanks for playing! See you next week!