As you know….Friday’s magnitude 8.9 earthquake and resulting tsunami that left towns and villages in Japan devastated.
- As of right now, Japanese National Police Agency has 1,897 deaths , 1,885 njuries, and 3,002 people missing. Obviously, these are early estimates.
- Reported estimates place insured losses from the earthquake and tsunami at US$14.5 to $34.6 billion
- Public broadcaster NHK reported that 450,000 people were living in shelters.
- According to the Japan Meteorological Agency, Japan has endured 44 aftershocks of a magnitude greater than 6.0, the point at which seismologists define an earthquake as “strong.” Three of those have exceeded 7.0, .
- 63,000 buildings had been damaged, more than 6,000 of them obliterated
How did this affect the rest of us?
- Experts in Italy say that the earthquake’s strength shifted the Earth’s axis by 25 centimeters (9.8 in). This led to a number of small planetary changes, including the length of a day and the tilt of the Earth.
Thinking about buying a Japanese car?
The quake suspended production at businesses such as Toyota, Nissan and Honda.
This is NOAA’s Animation of Tsunami Propagation from Earthquake in Japan. It can show you how huge this thing was.
Check out these before and after satellite shots of Japan
Visit the U.S. Embassy and Consulate websites
- U.S. Embassy in Tokyo
- U.S. Consulate General in Osaka-Kobe
- U.S. Consulate General in Naha
- U.S. Consulate General in Sapporo
- U.S. Consulate in Fukuoka
- U.S. Consulate in Nagoya
National Weather Service’s Pacific Tsunami Warning Center athttp://ptwc.weather.gov/.
Ironically, this is the current state of Google Trending in the U.S. (as of this very second- your may differ)
1. evan bayh
3. charlie sheen tour
7. youtube video
10. rebecca black
We’re still more interested in Charlie…….