It’s National Cancer Control Month here is the US.
Last year, the estimated new cases and deaths from cancer in the United States :
- New cases: 1,529,560 (does not include nonmelanoma skin cancers)
- Deaths: 569,490
- Bladder Cancer
- Breast Cancer
- Colon and Rectal Cancer
- Endometrial Cancer
- Kidney (Renal Cell) Cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Thyroid Cancer
- Childhood Cancers
According to Cancer.gov, cancer is a term used for diseases in which abnormal cells divide without control and are able to invade other tissues. Cancer cells can spread to other parts of the body through the blood and lymph systems.
Cancer is not just one disease but many diseases. There are more than 100 different types of cancer. Most cancers are named for the organ or type of cell in which they start – for example, cancer that begins in the colon is called colon cancer; cancer that begins in basal cells of the skin is called basal cell carcinoma.
Cancer types can be grouped into broader categories. The main categories of cancer include:
Carcinoma – cancer that begins in the skin or in tissues that line or cover internal organs.
Sarcoma – cancer that begins in bone, cartilage, fat, muscle, blood vessels, or other connective or supportive tissue.
Leukemia – cancer that starts in blood-forming tissue such as the bone marrow and causes large numbers of abnormal blood cells to be produced and enter the blood.
Lymphoma and myeloma – cancers that begin in the cells of the immune system.
Central nervous system cancers – cancers that begin in the tissues of the brain and spinal cord.
The TT questions are brought to you by Berleen, the color of red gummie bears and the number 1 because … I don’t know, because I’m not that creative today…
*We will now be publishing updates for Thursday Thunks on Facebook via the InsanityCafe fanpage. Please “like” us there to get your TT reminder!
1. Does anyone ever wonder: who would go to my funeral if i die?
I mean heirs.
2. Sometimes people just make you scrunch up your nose and give that “WTF?” look. Who was the last person you gave that look to? My daughter describing her road rage at some idiot in front of her doing 25 in a 35 zone and then making a left turn from the center lane.
3. A friend recently told you that she tricked her boyfriend into getting her pregnant. You are also very close friends with him, should you say something or keep it to yourself? Not really my biz and if any of my friends were still able to conceive, it would be a miracle in itself.
4. Do you get light headed after sucking the helium from a balloon? Neva tried it.
5. What is the last website you look at each day? Gmail
6. Since this is a Thursday meme, but we post it on Wednesday, shouldn’t this be called Thurnesday Thunks? I’m game.
7. So some school in Chicago is banning kids from eating bag lunches from home, forcing them to eat school lunches. Hey, I ain’t making this crap up, seems the government doesn’t trust parents to feed their kids. Go see for yourself. Back in the day, did you eat school lunches or did you bag it? Living in Illinois, I can surly attest that no governmental body has the money or the time to enforce such a stupid idea. What about the kids on special diets? Duh!
My parents were too cheap to buy me a school lunch so I dealt with those nasty bologna sandwiches until I became a teenagers and ate what teen girls eat- nothing.
8. You can say you don’t watch the news until you are blue in the face, but everyone has some news story that caught their attention and they followed stories on. Murders, kidnappings, dirty politics, stupid celebrities….. whatever. Which one caught your attention (even if you didn’t want it to)?
I’m kinda a news junkie…. there was the alligator in the pool in Fla (which happens daily in Fla so I’m not sure why CNN cared about it today), Charlie not winning, Trump saying a lot about nothing really, Mubarek and sons being detained, and Justin Beiber B & Moaning about being a celebrity and not having privacy in the Holy Land. Haven’t heard a lot about Libya which I’m delusionally thinking may lower the price of gas.
9. What condiment is always in your fridge?
10. You can hug it, pet it and squeeze it and if you really want to you can name it George. What mythical creature would you have as a pet?
I really don’t need another pet. I’ll keep my real ones.
Have a great day. Or not. See you next Thursday.
You too and thanks for posting!