Going somewhere this 4th of July Weekend?
AAA forecasts 39 million Americans will travel 50 miles or more from home during the Independence Day holiday weekend.
This is a 2.5 percent decline from the 40 million people who traveled a year ago.
AAA says that approximately 32.8 million people plan to travel by automobile.
That’s a decline of almost a million auto travelers from the 33.7 million who drove last year although, automobile travel remains the dominant mode of transportation (84 percent of holiday travelers).
Gasoline prices about a dollar per gallon more expensive than a year ago in many parts of the country. AAA expects the national average price for regular gasoline to remain between $3.60 and $3.70 per gallon during the Independence Day holiday weekend.
AAA also says that a little more than three million leisure travelers (eight percent of holiday travelers) will fly during the holiday weekend, a nine percent increase from last year’s 2.75 million air travelers. The rising cost of gasoline is a contributing factor to the increase in air travel, as the increasing cost of travel by car is making air travel a more viable option for some travelers despite recent increases in air fares.
According to a survey of traveler intentions, the average distance traveled by Americans during the Independence Day holiday weekend is expected to be 573 miles, which is seven percent less than last year’s average travel distance of 617 miles. Median spending is expected to be $807, an increase of 25 percent from $644 last year.
Me? I’m staying home…in my pool…. 🙂
Aloha Friends…..how much are you paying for a gallon of gas this weekend?
It just dipped under $3.50 here (reg)
Starting the weekend with a firecracker Friday
1) This weekend most people in the U.S. will be celebrating Independence Day. Have you ever been injured in some way by Fourth of July fireworks?
When I was really young I met someone who was blinded and lost a bunch of fingers from fireworks. That pretty much has kept me away from them.
2) I’m going to buy you a $100 gift card to a restaurant, but there’s a catch. It either has to be a fancy restaurant where $100 may not even cover the cost of one entire meal for you and another person or a cheap fast-food restaurant where $100 could provide you food for several weeks. Which would you choose — the fancy restaurant or the fast-food place?
I’d probably put it into my pile of restaurant gift cards and forget about it.
3) Will you be watching any fireworks this Independence Day? Or will you be setting off any of your own?
Probably see what’s going around my house and a little on tv.
4) If you could take home any animal from the zoo, which would it be and what would you name it?
5) If you were made into an action figure, what accessories would be included with you?
bullet-proof boobies– you know how much money I’d make off the patent?
6) I’ve noticed that Facebook has totally become my way of keeping tabs on people who are no longer in my life. Have you ever used a social media website to “cyber-stalk” an ex-lover?
7) Saturday (July 2) is “I Forgot Day.” What is something you’d like to permanently forget?
8) I grew up right across the street from a cemetery, so graveyards are like a second home to me, but I know that’s not how most people feel. Do cemeteries make you uncomfortable or are you okay being in one?
Guess it depends on the age and history of the cemetery.
9) You can flip a switch that will wipe any band or musical artist off the earth. Who would it be?
The ones whose names I don’t care to know, who preach violence against police etc
10) You have one week to do whatever you want, all-expenses-paid, what things would you want to do?
see how many outlet malls I can hit. woohoo!