13 interesting topics in the news…
Arnold wears ‘I Survived Maria’ shirt
TMZ snapped Arnold Schwarzenegger biking in Santa Monica on Sunday wearing a shirt that read “I Survived Maria 1977 – 2010.” According to TMZ, the shirts were made by Maria Shriver’s staff as a joke and they originally read “2007 – 2010.”
Look who’s writing a novel…
Where do they find the time?
Kim, Kourtney and Khloé are making their fiction debut with an upcoming novel, “Dollhouse.”
The Smurfs’ lands a sequel
Sony is planning a sequel to their summer “Smurfs” release and is lining it up to open on August 2, 2013.
Groupon admits it’s unprofitable
Groupon incurred a $420 million operating loss for 2010 and a $117.1 million loss in the first quarter.
Mind and body: Worms that may heal
Treating depression with worms or bacteria is not ready for prime time, but a clear implication of recent scientific findings is that we do our children no favors when we insist they live in a hyper-sterilized world.
World’s busiest airport is…?
London’s Heathrow airport remained the busiest in the world, handling over 60 million international passengers. The big mover was South Korea’s Incheon, which moved into the top ten in 2010. Madrid fell out of the top 10, Incheon moved into 8th place and Tokyo dropped from 8th in 2009 to 9th.
Read more: World’s busiest airports announced | CNNGo.com http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/visit/bangkok-edges-top-10-list-worlds-busiest-airports-774335?hpt=hp_bn12#ixzz1UfebXVz2
A planet for all apes
Two new movies released this month – one a science-fiction blockbuster, the other a revealing documentary – raise the issue of our relations with our closest non-human relatives, the great apes. Both dramatize insights and lessons that should not be ignored.
2 men sue Calif. amusement park over slur on photo
Two men are suing a Northern California amusement park after they say employees posted a photograph of them riding a roller coaster with a caption labeling them with a homophobic slur.
Woods in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons
Even as he took the high road Wednesday in a nasty split with his longtime caddie, Tiger Woods lowered his standard of success on the eve of the PGA Championship
Is handwriting dead?
Most states don’t require children to learn cursive writing anymore. Some 46 states have adopted the Common Core Standards, a set of educational guidelines that do not require cursive writing as part of a school’s curriculum. The state of Indiana recently announced it would drop a district requirement to teach cursive writing as of this fall. Instead, students must be able to type on keyboards.
Baby whale to be put down after second beaching
A baby humpback whale which was rescued after beaching off Australia’s east coast this week will be put down after failing to find its mother and stranding itself again
A woman who turned her rural Northern California home into a spa for wild bears won’t go to jail after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor charge of feeding big game.
Leaving a legacy of pet costumes and painted canvases
1) What would be the worst thing to find inside a bucket placed on your front porch?
Ask hubby- he’d be the one getting rid of it. Actually… he probably left it there.
2) August is “What Will Be Your Legacy Month.” What legacy do you hope to leave behind?
Meme’s of course
3) If inanimate objects came alive when no one is looking, what object would you be most interested in trying to catch walking around in secret?
I’ll keep that one to myself….
4) I will be getting married next year. What should my friends and I do for a bachelorette party?
Sunday Stealing. Are you really? Congrats!
5) Polygamist leader Warren Jeffs, head of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, has been sentenced to life in prison for sexually assaulting an underage follower he took as a bride. How do you feel about his sentence?
I’m still stuck on the Anthony walk. He’s disgusting.
6) Do you stick to the “best if used by” expiration dates on products?
Depends what happens after that date. Some items are still good.
7) Today (Aug. 10) is Spoil Your Dog Day. Does it ever bother you when people dress their pets up in crazy outfits?
I took a photography class once and dressed my dog up to take pictures of her.
8) Speaking of pets, what is your opinion of people who create separate Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, etc. pages for their pets or children?
Someone has time on their hands
9) Your electricity goes out for 24 hours. What do you do to pass the time until the power comes back?
10) If you were given a canvas, a paintbrush and paint right now, what would you paint?