Pinterest is a new type of image-based social media that allows you to easily share your interests and items that you find with others on the Internet. Read this article to learn how.
- Go to the Pinterest.com website. It’s found at: http://www.pinterest.com. If you don’t have an account already, click “Request an Invite” on the home page. Check your mail in the next day or so and click on the link that is sent to you to create an account.
- Log in. You can log in with either Facebook or Twitter. Create a password to go with it.
- Click on images or items that catch your interest. Then click on “Follow People.” Doing this will get you started on the site.
- Check out the people you’re now following. You can unfollow later, if you choose.
- Create your own Pinboards. You can start with the titles that the website suggests when you sign up, or you can create your own.
- Start by checking out the Pinboards of the people you’re already following. When you first sign up, you’ll be asked to choose interests. Pinterest will assign you people to follow based on these interests. Click on the name of anyone on your homepage to view their list of pinboards.
- Look for more pinboards to follow. If you want, you can search to find pinboards beyond the ones assigned to you. Enter your query into the search bar at the top of the page and press enter. Then, click on “boards” at the top of the page. When you find one that you like, click Follow.
- Repin pins. If you find a pin on a user’s board that you like, you can repin it to your board.
- Roll over the image and click “repin.”
- Choose whether you’d like to add the pin to an existing board or create a new one.
- Write a description and click Pin It!
- Like Pins. Another way to show your appreciation for certain pins is to “like” them. To do so, roll over the picture and click “like.”
- To view your liked pins, go to your profile by clicking on your name in the upper right corner. Then, click “Likes” at the top of your profile.
- Roll over your name in the upper right corner. Select “Settings” from the drop down menu. Alternatively, if you’re on your profile, you can click “Edit Profile” under your picture.
- Edit your email address. The email address that you signed up will be the default (this is not shown to the public). If you wish to change it, simply enter the new address in the space provided.
- Edit email notifications. Click “Change Email Settings” to decide which notifications warrant an email to you.
- Leave the things you’d like emails for checked, and uncheck everything else. When you’re done, click “Save Settings”
- Change your password. Click “Change Password.” Enter your old password in the space provided, and then enter your new password twice. Then click “Change Password.”
- Fill in the information boxes. Here you have a chance to enter your first and last name, edit your username, and enter information about yourself.
- Choose a profile picture. You can choose to upload one from your computer or, if you’re connected through Facebook, have Pinterest take your current Facebook profile picture.
- Edit your Facebook and Twitter settings. If you want, you can have your pinboards added to your Facebook Timeline. You can also have your Facebook or Twitter linked to your Pinterest—meaning that you can use your Facebook/Twitter info to log on to Pinterest and your default profile picture will be taken from there.
- Find friends from other social networking sites. If you want, you can find your friends from Yahoo, Gmail, Twitter, or Facebook.
- Go to https://pinterest.com/find_friends/. Click on the name of the site where your friends are.
- Allow access. No matter which one you choose, you’ll have to grant Pinterest access to your information.
- Choose who you want to follow. A list of contacts will come up. Click “follow all” next to their name.
- Decide if you want to use the Pin It bookmarklet. This will greatly simplify the ability to Pin your Interests (Pinterest).
Things You’ll Need
- Internet access
- Pinterest invitation request and acceptance (via email)
- How to Unfollow Pinboards on Pinterest
- How to Create a Pinboard on Pinterest
- How to Install the Pinterest “Pin It” Button
- How to Tag Other People’s Images in Flickr
- How to Get Your Photos Explored on Flickr
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Use Pinterest. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.