13 Facts about the Olympics
1. The first Olympics was held in Athens, 1896. Winners either got a Silver or a Bronze medal. There was no gold.
2. In 1900 France gave out paintings rather than medals as they felt paintings were more valuable.
3.This year the only branded food aloud in the Olympic Park is from Coca-Cola, McDonald’s, Cadbury, Heinekin, and Nature Vally
4.Queen Elizabeth’s granddaughter, Zara Philips, is on the British equestrian team. Both of her parents, Princess Anne and Cpt. Mark Philips, were also Olympic riders.
5. It is estimated that there are 45,000 meals served each day during the Olympics in the Olympic Village this year
6.Women did not start competing in track and field until 1928, Amsterdam
7. Synchronized swimmers use gelatin in their hair to keep in shiny and in place.
8. 2400- the number of soccer balls estimated that will be used this year.
9. There are nearly 15,000 Olympic and Paralympic athletes.
They are expected to consume 19 tons of eggs and 21 tons of cheese.
10. There are an estimated 800 chefs cooking for the athletes.
11. The youngest competitor was 10 year old gymnast Dimitrios Loundras who took bronze in 1896.
12. The oldest competitor this year is a 71 year old equestrian who first competed in the 1964 Olympics.
13. 150,000 condoms have been allotted for the Olympics this year. Ironically to some, that is 50% more than in Beijing 4 years ago….