Scams often follow disasters. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) warns to expect scams that prey on disaster victims in need of assistance and generous Americans hoping to contribute to the recovery. Here’s how to protect yourself.
For people considering donating:
- Donate to charities you know and trust. Be alert for charities that seem to have sprung up overnight.
- Look closely at the names of the organization. Some fake charities try to gain your trust by using names that are similar to legitimate charitable organizations.
- Ask if the caller is a paid fundraiser, who they work for, and what percentage of your donation goes to the charity and to the fundraiser. If you don’t get a clear answer or don’t like the answer you get, consider donating to a different organization.
- Do not give out personal or financial information – including your credit card or bank account number – unless you know the charity is reputable.
- Never send cash. You can’t be sure the organization will receive your donation, and you won’t have a record for tax purposes.
- Don’t donate to unknown individuals that post their needs on social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter. They may actually be fake victims.
- Check out a charity before you donate. Contact the Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance at www.give.org.
Saturday 9: Key Largo
1) This song was inspired by the Bogart/Bacall movie of the same name. Do you have a favorite Humphrey Bogart film? Which one?
Maltese Falcon was pretty cool
2) Where do you rent movies? (Netflix, Redbox, OnDemand, etc.)
Usually OnDemand since it’s so easy. But, now I have the Apple streaming box so things can change.
3) Have you ever been to the Florida Keys?
Nope. Orlando and Palm Beach County many times.
4) According to government statistics, more than half the people who currently live in Florida were born in another state. Were you born in the state where you currently live?
Yep. Fla is very transient. Although, I have met people there who have never seen snow. WTH?
5) To be honest, Crazy Sam really hates this week’s featured song. (Hear it here.) Do you like it? Loathe it? Or are you unfamiliar with it?
I think Gal Rocks! Plus, she has good taste in sports teams.
6) Local authorities in a suburb of Sydney blasted Barry Manilow songs into a neighborhood park to keep “hooligans” away after dark. Is there an artist or song that would make you run in the other direction?hahaha that’s too good. Any of that soft rock/dentist office/elevator crud would totally keep me away.
7) Two of the most common fears are going to the dentist and speaking in public. Do either of those really get under your skin?
Nah…looking in the mirror or stepping on the dang scale can be way worse.
8) We’re having burgers. What do you want on yours?
I’m feeling Swiss with pickles on the side. No bun.
9) Here’s your chance to do a shameless plug — What charity or cause do you wish got more support? Duh. My shopping fund.
Today is (was I guess) my daughter’s 21st. That can get expensive. Boys are way cheaper.