13 Facts About Rhoda
Rhoda Morgenstern was born in the Bronx in December 1941 and
was portrayed by Valerie Harper
2 Rhoda was Mary’s neighbor on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, between the years 1970 and 1974
3 In 1974 Rhoda moved back to the Bronx for
five seasons, from 1974 to 1978.
4. The Rhoda show aired 109 or depending on the source, 110 episodes
5 Rhoda was filmed Friday evenings in front of a live studio audience at CBS Studio Center in LA
6. After 8 weeks of airing/dating…Rhoda and the hunky Joe Gerard Eight were married in a special hour-long episode which broke several television records (Monday, October 28, 1974)
7. The marriage of Joe and Rhoda lasted until the first episode of the third season when skank Joe left Rhoda and the two remain separated for the entire season.
8. Rhoda and Joe divorce in season 4.
9. Main characters of the show were:
Valerie Harper—Rhoda Morgenstern Gerard
Julie Kavner—Brenda Morgenstern
David Groh—Joe Gerard (1974–77)
Nancy Walker—Ida Morgenstern (1974–76, 1977–78)
Harold Gould—Martin Morgenstern (1974–76, 1977–78)
Ron Silver—Gary Levy (1976–78)
Ray Buktenica—Benny Goodwin (1977–78)
Kenneth McMillan—Jack Doyle (1977–78)
Lorenzo Music—Carlton, the doorman (voice only)
Awards for the show include:Emmy Awards:
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series—Valerie Harper, 1975
Outstanding Continuing Performance by a Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series—Julie Kavner, 1978
Golden Globe Awards:
Best TV Show, Musical/Comedy—1975
Best TV Actress, Musical/Comedy—Valerie Harper, 1975
Collectively, Rhoda garnered a total of 17 Emmy nominations and 7 Golden Globe nominations.
No mention of a “Teddy”
11. Mary and the gang visit New York (Lou , Murray, Georgette and Phyllis) for “Rhoda’s Wedding” (October 28, 1974).
12. Valerie Harper was born August 22, 1939 in
Suffern, New York. She is actually of French, English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh ancestry.
13. In 2009 shewas diagnosed with lung cancer. Last week she announced that tests from January revealed she has leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, a rare condition in which cancer cells spread into the meninges, the membranes surrounding the brain. She said her doctors have given her as little as three months’ life expectancy.