Saturday 9: Can’t Buy Me Love (1964)
50 years ago this week, The Beatles made history with this song (hear it here). They became the first and only act in history to hold all 5 of the top slots in the Billboard Hot 100.
1) In this song, Beatle Paul offers to buy his girl a diamond ring. Do you wear rings?
No. They start to bother me after a while. I just collect them an look at them.
2) This song was written by boyhood friends John Lennon and Paul McCartney, who went on to become the most successful songwriters of the 20th century. Tell us about your best friend from “the old neighborhood.” Do you know where he or she is today?
Good gravy…I have no idea…probably in the circus or something…actually, a guy I no longer am affiliated with did go the the circus college.
3) The Ed Sullivan Theater, where the Beatles first performed to a mass American audience, is now the home of The Late Show with David Letterman. Do you have a favorite late night talk show?
Like I’m up that late. I will occasionally watch the CC reruns the next day.
4) In 1964, when this song became #1, one of top TV shows was My Favorite Martian. Do you believe in life on other planets?
I did believe in Bill Bixby and he believed in his favorite martian
5) In those days, homes had rotary dial phones, often affixed to the wall, with the receiver always tethered by a curly cord. Does your home still have a landline phone?
True story- our landline has been dead since January but, nobody wants to deal with Comcast customer service (hello people ..not from Illinois for example…who tell you they can help you and then proceed to not be able to help you…only to frustrate the heck out of you….)
6) 1964 was the year GI Joe first appeared on toy shelves. Tell us about one of your favorite childhood toys.
They were in my basement and when I went with my mother to California to visit my sister (only to get the flu) my brother pretty much threw everything away with the claim that he was “cleaning out the basement”. Turd.
7) Ringo was the first Beatle to become a grandfather. His granddaughter, Tatia, is now a rock musician. If you were to follow your grandfather into his chosen profession, what would you be doing now?
Working way harder than I should be for way less than I deserve.
8) Paul McCartney admits he enjoys watching MasterChef. What show do you go out of your way to catch?
How does anyone know what Sir Paul is watching. He could be watching the Cubs right now for all you know.
9) The paparazzi has often caught Paul pedaling a bike around Martha’s Vineyard. What’s your favorite form of exercise?
meme answers. totally