Saturday 9: I Got You, Babe
(recommended by Thank You Great Spirit)
If you’re not familiar with today’s song, you can hear it here.
1) Popular music has produced almost countless groups, but not that many duos. Besides Sonny & Cher, can you name another?
Johnny and Edgar Winter.
2) Hearing this recording from his clock radio is how Bill Murray woke up every morning in Groundhog Day. What woke you up this morning?
A hot flash.
3) When she was growing up, Cher practiced her autograph for when she became a star. Is your signature legible? Or is it more of a scrawl?
Depends on what day it is. Once, in junior high, I pissed off a teacher (a former nun who fell in love with the father of a kid in my class- poor kid….she was not a beauty) anyway, she made me write something like a 100 times and accused me of getting someone else to do it for me because my writing changed. I think it’s obvious where this women ended up or will end up….
4) In addition to show biz, Sonny & Cher had many careers: Sonny was a restauranteur and politician, Cher is an interior designer. Would you like to try your hand at any of those professions?
For like a minute maybe…. if the price was right.
5) In 1965, when this song topped the charts, Sonny and Cher were as famous for their wardrobe as for their music. Sonny was fond of tall, heavy-heeled boots while Cher often paired granny dresses with bare feet. What’s on your feet right now?
Birkenstocks with white socks! HA! My Jerry Garcia Birkenstocks to be exact.
6) By 1968, their career crashed. Cher’s early attempts as a movie actress failed, their records stopped selling and the IRS came after them for back taxes. Have you ever been audited?
every day babe
7) In 1971 they were on top again with their TV show. But their marriage was coming apart. Sonny said, “For the last 5 years I worried about our career, not about us.” Have you ever been guilty of putting career before relationship?
I may know of someone who should be feeling guilty and I’ll leave it at that.
8) By 1972 they were living separate lives — in the same house. For the sake of The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour, they pretended to be happily married another year and a half. Tell us about a time when you pretended to be happy, but weren’t.
Pretty much any kind of a religious service….
Why do people always look at the book while they are singing even thought they’ve been singing these things their whole lives?
9) While their separation and divorce were bitter, they resumed their friendship when Cher showed up at the opening of his restaurant in 1976. Have you ever made the first move in repairing a relationship?
I like to move on….