Saturday 9: Ballad of Gilligan’s Island (1964)
1) This is about the fateful cruise of the S.S. Minnow. If you had a boat, what would christen it?
2) “No phone! No lights! No motorcar! Not a single luxury!” To Sam, those sound more like everyday essentials than luxuries. If you were shipwrecked with the gang, what standard amenity would you miss the most?
Haven’t seen this question in over a year. I still stand with the TP answer.
3) The uncharted isle was in the Pacific, near Hawaii. Have you ever been to our 50th state?
4) Natalie Schafer, who played Mrs. Howell, refused to divulge her age. Are you honest about how old you are? Or do you fudge it?
I’ve been 29 for over 20 years- honest!
5) Gilligan’s Island featured many dream sequences. (Like the one where Gilligan dozes off and dreams that he’s Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk.) Have you had any vivid dreams lately?
I had one dream…kinda like a nightmare…. where an orange windbag took over the world and bombed the heck out of it.
6) The pilot was filmed in November, 1963, in Honolulu. The cast and crew were actually onset when they learned of President Kennedy’s assassination.* Because on location filming was so expensive, they couldn’t afford to take any time off. Tell us about a time when you had to work, even though your heart and head weren’t in it.
I got off my duff and headed on over to the polling place to vote the other day. Some folks just stayed home apparently.
7) During the show’s run, Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) was the clear fan favorite, receiving twice as many love letters as Ginger (Tina Louise). Have you ever written a fan letter (or posted a fan tweet or Facebook post)?
8) Sam chose this week’s song because it was going through her head, over and over again! Tell us a song that burrows into your head and stays there.
I bet Sam wishes that she were on a deserted island…..
9) Random question: You went to a discount store and got an amazing bargain — a pair of dress shoes for just $4.99. You go to a formal event and someone compliments you on those great shoes and asks where you got them. Do you tell the truth?
I would as it is all about the thrill of the hunt for me. Like I would ever go to a formal event though….