Saturday 9: The Heat of the Moment (1982)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) What’s something you did or said “in the heat of the moment?”
Volunteered for something no doubt.
2) Asia’s founder and bass player, John Wetton, passed away in January. One of his bandmates remembered him as a reliable performer who made everyone around him look better. Do you enjoy being the center of attention? Or would you, like Mr. Wetton, prefer to play a supporting role?
I like to keep things on the low these days.
3) Asia is a British band who played their first US concert at Clarkson University in Potsdam, New York. The nearest major city — Ottawa, Canada — is a 90-minute drive from Pottsdam. When you were last in the car for an hour or more? Where were you going?
Wow. I’ve flown for travel most recently.
4) The song refers to disco hot spots, which apparently, by 1982, no one wanted to go to anymore. Let’s make that negative into a positive. Describe your perfect night out with friends. Where would you go?
They have one of those peddle and drink things that goes through our downtown. It’s suppose to be a lot of fun.
Looks like this but, is not specifically this one…
5) In 1982, the year this song was popular, someone laced bottles of Tylenol with cyanide. That’s why we now have tamper-proof caps on many products. Have you used anything in a tamper-proof bottle yet today?
Took some ibuprofen this morning and I’m about to have some wine.
6) In 1982, Time Magazine’s Person of the Year wasn’t a person at all, it was “the computer.” What do you use your computer for most often?
7) 1982 also saw the premiere of The Weather Channel. Where do you learn the day’s weather forecast? (Watching the local news on TV, checking your phone, looking out the window …)
My husband likes to put the fake Weather Channel on and mute the TV. He then leaves it on all day long.
8) In 1982, Arnold Schwarzenegger’s movie, Conan the Barbarian, was a hit in theaters. When you settle down to watch a movie, is it usually a fantasy, like Conan? Or do you prefer another genre (action, comedy, adventure, romance, drama, classic …)
I like things a bit more realistic like chick-flicks, comedy, suspense etc.
9) Random question: What is something you try to avoid?
Talking politics with some of my friends…..