Saturday 9: Don’t Sleep in the Subway (1967)
1) Subways can be bright and noisy. Do you need it dark and quiet before you can fall asleep?
As long as the TV is on I can fall asleep. Crazy right?
2) In this song, Petula encourages her lover to talk it out instead of walking out. Do you usually remain reasonable during a disagreement?
I try to be…but sometimes you just cannot fight stupid…
3) Petula was a child star in England during WWII. Her BBC broadcasts were very popular with the British troops, who nicknamed her The Singing Sweetheart. Soldiers pasted her photo onto their tanks for luck as they went into battle. Do you have any little rituals or good luck charms that calm/comfort you when you’re afraid?
Not that I can remember..
4) Now 84, she recently told London’s Daily Mail that she’s surprised and thrilled to have found love again with a new man. Do you believe you’ll ever be too old for romance?
I’m not sure I can deal with too much guydrama if you know what I mean… when I am of a certain age.
5) Her family is far flung. She lives in London, her middle daughter is in Paris, her son is in Los Angeles and her oldest daughter lives in New York with Petula’s two grandchildren. Who is your nearest friend or relative? Which one is farthest away?
I have a sister who is in town to visit for the weekend. She also lives in SoCal.
6) In 1967, when this song was popular, Rolling Stone published its first issue. John Lennon was on the cover. Publisher Jann Wenner reports that, either individually or as a group, the members of The Beatles have appeared on the most Rolling Stone covers. What’s the first Beatle song that comes to mind?
Actually, the entire White Album comes to mind before anything else. Why is that? Maybe because it was about that time when I received one as a gift from a sibling. I played it so much that it warped and I still played it. I bet that darn warped album is sitting in my attic right now.
7) In 1967, Star Trek was in its second season on NBC. Who is your favorite Star Trek character?
8) RANDOM QUESTION: When you slip into jeans or slacks, which foot do you put in first?
um…probably the right. Didn’t this query once come up on an episode of All in the Family?
9) As you considered #8, did you mime pulling on your pants?