Saturday 9: Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
… because Joy recommended it
1) The Beatles recorded this after they had taken a three-month hiatus from working together as a band. Do you find you’re sharp after taking time off? Or does it take you a while to get back into the swing of things in your day-to-day life?
Lately…as in postmentalpausal… I seem to have trouble keeping my mind focused on my work. Although, I will have great intentions. A for Effort
2) During those three months off, John Lennon made a movie called How I Won the War. What’s the last movie you watched? Did you view it at a theater, on TV, or from a device like a computer or tablet?
I think we had Animal House on and then something else last weekend while we were gathering in the kitchen. I did watch that Princess Di documentary on HBO last night.
3) Paul McCartney and George Harrison both used their time off to make new and different music. Paul composed instrumentals for a movie soundtrack while George studied sitar with Ravi Shankar. Ringo Starr spent those three months with his wife and their two little boys. If you had three months to spend doing anything you wanted, and money was no object, would you try something new (like Paul and George) or just kick back and relax (like Ringo)?
Yeah. I’d get the fudge out of here. Maybe I’d freeload off of my son like he freeloaded off of my for so long.
Actually, I’d send the three month pass to the good folks at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
4) Paul recalls what fun it was to dress up in Edwardian-era costumes for the album cover. When did you last attend a costume party? What did you wear?
Paul: that is not fun. You want to dress up- tap your daughter. She knows how to do it.
I am not sure that I have ever been to a costume party…as an adult..
5) Paul says he came up with the name “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” when Beatle friend Mal Evans told him about this great San Francisco band, Big Brother and the Holding Company. Paul hadn’t heard their music yet, but he loved the sound of their six-word band name. Soon everyone would hear of Big Brother. Do you know who Big Brother’s famous lead singer was?
Say what? You lost me. I read that twice.
Maybe it’s the wine.
6) Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band appeared on the Billboard charts for 175 weeks. Is this album in your collection?
I’m sure it’s in my album collection that has been sitting in the garage for like 20 or so years.
7) The Beatles are among the top-selling artists of all time in Zimbabwe and Ethiopia. Would you like to visit Africa?
Yeah, when they give out free diamonds and chocolate that have no blood involved with them. Oh, and they have indoor plumbing.
8) 50 years ago, when Sgt. Pepper was first released, the average price for gas was 33¢/gallon. When did you last fill up your gas tank? Do you remember how much it cost?
Last week. Um. Regular was like 2 bucks or something. I quit looking since I have to buy the dang gas anyhoo.
9) Random question: Are most of your married friends happily married?
My friends who are married have been married for 25+ years. At that point you know what is out there and you have learned how to deal with the other person. The happiness question went out the window long ago for pretty much everyone I know.