Sorry I missed last week. I was out of town with my son.
He is moving away soon ;( however, he got a decent job 🙂
Saturday 9: Wouldn’t It Be Nice? (1966)
… because Nonnie recommended the Beach Boys
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) In the video for this song, the Beach Boys dive into the pool with all their clothes on. Have you ever ended up in the water while fully clothed? If yes, were you pushed?
Probably. I just can’t remember when. I have been caught in the rain recently. Does that count??
2) In this song, Mike Love sings he wishes “every kiss could be neverending.” Where did you receive your first kiss? Was it wonderful, or awkward?
Probably from some family member or a dog. Whoopdedoo.
3) Brian Wilson was the creative force behind the Beach Boys. It’s possible that the group’s legendary and unique sound came from a incident of bad parenting. Brian’s father hit him so hard with a wooden plank that he is deaf in his right ear. Which of your senses is sharpest — sight, hearing, smell or taste?
Certainly not my eyesight. Not my taste or smell since there is a bit of grass pollen in the air. So, I’ll roll with hearing right now.
4) Brian’s brother Dennis was the cutest member of the group, and also the only one who could surf. Have you been to the beach yet this summer?
ppffff…. some years I get lucky and I get an Atlantic and Pacific beach visit. I like those years.
However, this year is the year of the freaking busted up knee/stuck on crutches thus, I opted for a car ride with my son and was grateful for that.
5) Dennis was also the Beach Boys’ most colorful member. In 1968, he struck up an unfortunate and dangerous friendship with Charles Manson. Is there anyone in your life that you worry has bad taste in friends/lovers?
I have relatives that voted the wrong way. Glad that wasn’t mfa.
6) Lead singer Mike Love is the grumpiest Beach Boy. He refuses to perform if the concert promotional materials refer to the group or their songs as “oldies.” Does it bother you to hear the songs, TV shows and movies of your youth described as “classics” or “oldies?”
When did “Oldies” shift to classic rock tunes? Did something happen to Elvis, Patsy, and Chuck??? They must be prehistoric rock (lol–pun).
Even worse, the classic rock stations that I programmed in when I got my car went country. Talk about a sick joke. Now I have to figure out how to reprogram those things. My son got so ticked off that he hooked up streaming in my car for me.
7) This song has appeared on soundtracks for movies as diverse as Shampoo (1975), The Big Chill (1983), 50 First Dates (2004) and It’s Complicated (2009). Do you own any movie soundtracks?
I was watching a movie about the Gershwin’s while I was on my bike a while back and had to download Rhapsody in Blue (the original).
8) In 1966, the year this song was popular, the Miranda Warning became law. Without looking it up, can you recite any of the Miranda Warning?
Miranda from SATC?
I heard a while back that they are working on another sequel. Wonder what they’ll call it- SATMedicare? I’ll be there… Nothing could be as bad as the last sequel. E channel won’t even air that one.
I wonder if anyone famously fake will be hearing this one soon…
That silent part may be a tough one…
9) Random question: The local college is pleading for models of all ages and sizes to pose for the life drawing class. Would you help the kids by volunteering to pose in the nude?
I would certainly help them even better by keeping my clothing on.