Saturday 9: I Wish It Would Rain (1968)
… because Janelle recommended the Temptations
1) This week’s song focuses on rain. Ombrophobia — the fear of rain — is fairly common in children. How do you feel about rainy days?
I think of muddy paws…all over my house….
2) Lead singer David Ruffin always wore corrective lenses. Are you wearing glasses or contact lenses as you answer these questions?
Can’t see without them…
3) Those thick-rimmed glasses were David’s trademark. When he custom-ordered a luxury car, he had the image of those glasses painted on the door. Tell us something that makes your vehicle distinctive.
The almost flat front tire that my husband refuses to fill because…as he has claimed for about a year now…he wants to replace my tires. Just fill the dang thing already willya?
If I only had a nickle…
4) David also had a penchant for mink. Rumor has it that he wore a mink-lined hat and even had that car upholstered in mink. If you could really splurge on anything right now, what would it be? Car? Travel? Clothes? Jewelry? (NO responsible answers allowed.)
That’s a lot of dead minks. Didn’t he see that 60 minutes story 20 something..maybe 30 something..years ago???
5) He sings that he badly wants to go outside. What are your plans for today? Will you be outdoors very much?
Cleaning and laundry. Usual for a Saturday.
6) The Temptations originally called themselves The Elgins because in 1960, Elgin watches were the high-end timepiece of choice. Today, in the age of cellphones and FitBits, wristwatches aren’t that popular anymore. Do you often wear a watch?
When I am work at the restaurant. I wear an Apple watch set to Minnie Mouse. I also wear a fitbit.
7) This sad song was inspired by a real-life event. Motown songwriter Rodger Penzabene discovered his wife was cheating on him. Much to his own surprise, he didn’t want to divorce or even separate from her; he just wanted her to love him and only him again. Tell us about a time when you didn’t react as you thought you would. (Your story doesn’t have to be as dramatic as Rodger’s.)
Someone said something to me at the restaurant and I had to walk away to process it. My conversation was something about if everyone would just do their job then things would get done. Some folks just have to have their drama. oy.
8) In 1968, when this song was popular, a Pittsburgh McDonald’s sold the first Big Mac (two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickle and onion on a sesame seed bun). Describe your perfect hamburger.
I’m into the veggie kind these days.
9) Random question: When you catch a cold, do you soldier through it? Or are you a big baby?
Please. I’m a mom.