aturday 9: Voices Carry (1985)
This song was chosen because October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Please share this link to The National Domestic Violence Hotline. Let’s spread the word that there’s help out there.
1) In this song, a woman is “hushed” by her lover. When were you last told to “keep it down?”
Dogs. Barking Howling Dogs.
2) Her lover tells her tears are something to hide. Researchers tell us that crying can be good for us, because by releasing emotional stress, it lessens physical stress on the cardiovascular system. Are you comfortable crying in front of other people?
I’m not sure when I have in recent years.
3) In this video, the woman makes a scene by speaking up in a theater. Today theater goers are more likely to be disturbed by a cell phone ringing or its screen illuminating. Are you careful to turn your phone off in the theater, church, etc.?
Yes. There is nobody that important if I am able to go to see a movie.
4) When this group, Til Tuesday, was still struggling, Cyndi Lauper was already a star. Cyndi offered to record this song, which would have brought the group some fast cash, but only if they agreed not to record it themselves. Obviously they didn’t take the deal. Tell us about a time you took a risk on yourself, and it paid off.
Buying a restaurant.
5) Til Tuesday’s lead singer, Aimee Mann, went to Open High School in Richmond, Virginia. This charter high school is dedicated to helping students become “self-determined thinkers and learners.” Do you recall your high school as permissive or regimented?
lol. That was the 70’s. We were the reason for the regimented schools of today.
6) Aimee has been on the road through 2017 and, like most artists, sells tour merchandise. Her line includes reusable tote bags. Do you bring your own bag to the grocery store?
Yes- to Sam’s Club and Aldi. It’s not like they are giving out bags.
7) Aimee has tried her hand at acting and appeared on Buffy, The Vampire Slayer. From Dracula to Barnabas Collins to Lestat, vampires are a popular culture staple (especially in October). What do you suppose accounts for their enduring popularity?
That is a really good question.
8) In 1985, when this song was popular, Bruce Springsteen was at the top of the charts with Born in the USA. A massive commercial success, Born in the USA has sold more than 15,000,000 copies in the United States alone. Is it in your collection?
That too is a good question.
9) Random question: In which race would you do better — the Iditarod, with sled dogs in Nome, or speeding in a car at 200+ mph at the Indianapolis 500?
Gosh. Can’t we have an easier question like what would you rather do- go wine tasting or ice cream tasting? Who is the biggest idiot in the news right now? If someone offered you $50 would you remove your shirt or jump into a cold pool? Oreo’s or chocolate chip cookies? Who really shot JR?