Saturday 9: Son of a Preacher Man (1968)
1) This song was originally offered to Aretha Franklin, who turned it down. What’s the most recent thing that you said “no” to?
Probably lending someone some money
2) Two years later, Aretha recorded “Son of a Preacher Man.” What’s something you changed your mind about?
I’m kinda bummed about Franken
3) This song tells the tale of Billy Ray, a young man who could be very persuasive. If we wanted to change your mind about something, would you be more easily swayed by an emotional argument, or with verifiable facts?
4) If you ordered a “Son of a Preacher Man” in a bar, you’d get a cocktail made with peppermint schnapps, gin and lemonade. When did you last had lemonade? Was it just lemonade, or was it spiked with alcohol?
I drink a large glass of lemonade almost nightly. I even spike it with real lemons!
5) Dusty had a thing for maps. She admired them artistically and enjoyed using them to take long car trips. Do you use printed maps? Or do you rely on technology, like GPS or Google Maps?
Google maps on my phone with that woman who tells me where to go.
6) As a girl, she attended convent school. There, one of the nuns discouraged Dusty from performing, telling her that if she would do better to be a mother or a librarian. When you were growing up, did the adults in your world encourage your dreams?
No. Other than graduating college and then getting married and then having kids… which is why I am not a grandmother right now.
7) That nun inspired Dusty’s first major act of rebellion. In an attempt to make herself look less like a future librarian or housewife, she bleached her hair platinum blonde. In school, were you much of a rebel? Or did you conform to the expectations adults had of you?
I guess that I was more of a laid back rebel.
8) Early in her career, Dusty provided the entertainment at a family summer camp. She appeared on the bill with a clown, a fire-eater and a hypnotist. Have you ever been hypnotized?
No. Probably wouldn’t even be possible.
9) Random question: Have you ever played matchmaker to your friends? If yes, did your efforts lead to romance?
That stuff rarely ends well folks…. rarely..
Anyone going anywhere or doing anything special for Thanksgiving?
I’m traveling to see my son and then we will drive back here together to eat too much food together and watch really bad movies. I love life 🙂