Saturday 9: Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree (1971)
In memory of David Cassidy, who died on 11/21/17.
1) This song mentions celebrating the holidays in “the new old-fashioned way.” What’s a holiday tradition that began with you (or your generation)?
Home Alone Movies since they were not around when I was a kid.
2) The lyrics include dancing, caroling and pumpkin pie. Will you enjoy any of those three between now and year-end?
I guess not.
3) David Cassidy and The Partridge Family were intensely popular for a short period of time. For example, this song was from the best-selling Christmas album of the 1971 holiday season. Have you added any holiday music to your collection this year?
Nope. Not as of yet. I have started my shopping though.
4) In 1971, the official David Cassidy fan club had a membership that exceeded both Elvis’ and The Beatles’. Have you ever joined a fan club?
That one. and Bobby Sherman’s. Oh. and Maureen McCormick’s. I wonder how much money they made off of the Tiger Beat generation anyway.
5) David recalled that his first hero growing up was the Yankees’ Mickey Mantle. When you were a little kid, what grown-up did you look up to?
All of those space dudes, anyone in Tiger Beat, and a few rockers. Certainly not any politicians..
6) David was a notoriously bad driver. In 1990, he was sentenced to traffic school for speeding. He was late for the class because he was stopped for speeding en route. Do you have a “lead foot?”
That scares me. Who gave him back his license anyway? Maybe he should have been riding a bike or calling Uber.
No. I am not a lead footed person.
7) David’s parents divorced when he was only four years old. He and his mom lived with her parents until he was 10. Have you ever lived in an extended, multi-generational household?
For a short while when we sold our condo and were waiting for a house to be built. However, a job change made it so that we never lived in that house.
8) In 1971, when David and the Partridge Family were at their height, the US Mint introduced the Eisenhower Silver Dollar. Think of the last thing you bought. Did you pay with cash or plastic or your phone?
It was on Amazon. I forgot the method of choice at the moment.
9) Random holiday question: Let’s talk regifting. Tell us about a time you regifted, or you received a present you suspect was regifted.
Maybe it was some wine that I was not into.
Anyone get snow yet? It’s going to be like 60 this weekend but, I’m not complaining….